Wednesday, July 22, 2009

The Truth About Exercise

I need to exercise. I've decided. My weight really isn't budging much right now. The trick is to find what type of exercise to do. I have tried several in the past few years.

Last year, I went to exercise boot camp. Two hundred dollars a month to have someone yell at me while I run. I loved it, believe it or not! It was effective. After a few months, I could run about half a mile without stopping. This may seem like a small accomplishment, but this is coming from a woman that could run about twenty feet before people were running to their bags to get me their inhaler. You may think I'm joking. It happened...twice. I'm a heavy breather, apparently, when I run. After a while, other runners were telling me hello before I ever went past them. They could hear me approach and I don't think it was my shoes they were listening to. I truly did love the Boot Camp but my budget did not so alas, we parted ways. I am still on their email list. At some point, I will return, after becoming independently wealthy.

I once had a membership to 24 Hour Fitness. After working through feeling a bit out of place, I began a routine of 5am visits. I enjoyed taking Yoga classes. The classes were great as long as I avoided the mirror. No matter how hard you try, you cannot turn an apple into a tree. Those that have done Yoga will understand.

I also enjoyed the Treadclimber. Interesting piece of equipment. Part treadmill and part stair climber. All that I can tell you is that it made me sweat. Profusely. And gasp. And have people ask if I needed an Inhaler. A good workout as long as you looked straight ahead. Any veering of your head to the right or left could leave you struggling to find your footing on two individually moving tracks. How do I know this? Of course...it happened. I tried to converse with someone on my right and almost got pitched off the side. After that, I became the lone wolf. Don't talk to me...it could get me killed.

Now I am resigned to using Exercise Tapes. My latest is Turbo Jam. Part kick boxing and part Jazz dance. Very fun....high energy and fast paced. I can kick a normal sized person in the head now. It's a skill that doesn't come in handy often but when the need arises, I am prepared! This is good. When confronted with a dangerous situation, our bodies go into "fight or flight". We have learned that if I go into "flight", I will do fine as long as I only have to run 40 feet and someone has an inhaler nearby. I'm thinking that my chances of survival are slim.

Now, I have noticed that the videos' are not nearly as effective while watching them from the couch. This saddens me as there is nothing more relaxing than laying on the couch , watching a good video. With popcorn. While the plot may be lacking, the action is spectacular.

So on we go....I will begin actually trying to follow the directions on the video and moving to the beat. I will start...tomorrow. It is almost 11:00pm tonight. I may pop it in for old times sake. And make a bag of popcorn.

Have a good night, all!

No comments:

Post a Comment