Thursday, May 6, 2010

Gunpowder and Lead

Hmmmm....My husband just took off with the dog.  If you have read my earlier posts, you know one of my stress reducers is singing country songs at the top of my lungs...I'm not sure if it was the actual singing or the fact that I was singing "Gunpowder and Lead".  Hopefully you are familiar with Miranda Lambert (she is absolutely adorable albeit a little hostile!)  I'm also a fan of Lady Antebellum, Little Big Town, Sarah Evans and believe it or not....Reba McEntire.  All have songs in my very limited range which I can sing...very...very...loudly.  Eric is probably having to walk very far and very long to get away from me.  That's OK...he's stuck in the car with me tomorrow morning!

We just finished up some very juicy steaks and somewhat burnt and undercooked biscuits.  Apparently, they don't turn out so well in the Toaster Oven.  It's something like an Easy Bake from my childhood.  I was reminded with Mothers Day coming, however, that my mother never burned biscuits...except when she asked me to keep an eye on them.  She was a fabulous cook.  Thinking of her is bringing back so many memories of my childhood.  This is also where the singing comes from.  My older sister, mother and I all spent time singing with church.   My sister and I sang at her memorial service 12 years ago.  It's been a long time since I've seen her...but memories of her live on when I look at my own children.

I've received calls from two of my sons today....both asking about my plans on Sunday.  Both wanting to spend time with me.  I'm reminded that I don't just love my boys; I truly like them as human beings.  While they genetically were cursed with some of my quirks, they are pretty great to spend time with.  My youngest will most likely make me breakfast on Sunday - his specialty is eggs.  I will be well fed not only physically but emotionally Sunday.  We will relive many memories of the past twenty one years - and i will cry a little bit that an era in my life is ending.  And an era in theirs is just beginning. 

I have been well cared for by the men in my life.  I sing along with Miranda Lambert having never experienced a man hitting me in anger or the feeling that someone else is in control of my every move.  I have been truly blessed with my husband and boys.  I should be singing "Blessed" by Martina McBride....but her voice is a little higher and I think the angry songs have a better beat.  I can hit every note of Sugarland's "Stay" but there's something about a woman waiting for her married lover that kind of turns my stomach.  Bummer....its got a great melody.  My favorite song right now is "The House that Built Me".  My house that I grew up in is a mini-mall in Old Town now but the sentiment is pretty cool. 

OK - I've been rambling for a while now.  It could be the sentiment....it could be the fact that I don't want to do my homework...it could be the wine.  You decide.

Love to you all!

No comments:

Post a Comment