Tuesday, June 30, 2009

Set Point Theory

The set point theory refers to the b0dy's desire to keep itself at a certain weight - a kind-of thermostat for fat control. Some are set high and some are set low. Guess which level mine is set at? Now, I appreciate my bodies determination to keep me from dying out in a famine but as I don't see convenience stores drying up any time soon, food is pretty much available 24 hours a day. Which leads me to my own theory, the "born in the wrong time period" theory. I am becoming a firm believer. In the mid 1800's, the pear shape was considered beautiful. The ideal woman was "curvy with big hips". Surely I should have been born then....in the curvy big hip period. No...instead I was born to the modern day anorexic period. So unfair. Since time travel seems to be a few years away, I am doing my best to adjust. When Quantum Leap becomes reality, though, I'm on the first ship out of here.

It's not that I don't love my curves. I just wish there weren't so much of them. If you could make me a two dimensional picture, grab the upper corner, and just crop it in just a tad, I would feel great! Or...take that same picture, grab the upper middle and pull up to make me taller...all would be well. I am however, a 5'4" woman...with curves...and a weight that rivals a high school line backer. You do the math - currently, I'm not even really a pear...more like a rectangle. I gave up yoga when I looked in the mirror at everyone doing a "table"....I looked more like an ottoman. Does this mean that I don't love myself - absolutely not. I actually like myself pretty well. I just wish I could like less of me.

I am on Weight Watchers right now. I'm 18 pounds down. Hurray! With_____more to go. With my body fighting me every inch of the way. In the greater scheme of things, however, the issues seem pretty small. In a world in which people are dying of hunger, I'm fighting to loose weight. Go figure. I wish I could donate a hip or bit of rear end. It would be a win-win situation. Until then, I'll keep up the fight. Keep me in your thoughts. This is going to be a long battle. I'm shooting to wear a swimsuit again....in 2011.

1 comment:

  1. Oh cousin, it could be me writing this. Why can't we donate fat like we donate blood? Lipo IVs would be all the rage in Ethiopia, right?
    I am glad that you like yourself pretty well. I could say the same for myself, I just have too much body attached to my personality. I am grateful for my husband who loves the personality and the body that comes with it. I will continue to follow your blog. Love You,Wendy

    ReplyDelete